Technology has become an everyday thing and is rapidly changing. New companies offering internet service are cropping up and also providing a set of rules to the user. However they have to keep changing their firmware to keep up to date. This sometime affects the functionality of our internet in the homes as we have little or no time to keep updating. Until something stops working and we look for instruction all over the gadgets. Today we discuss on how to update the firmware of the routers. We focus on the Netgear Company which provides internet gadgets.
Netgear being a large and already established Company. Has variety of internet offers they move fast with technology and digitize the client world by changing the firmware to suit their routers and client’s needs. Updating come with a lot of advantage as new features are installed. Each version is unique and performs differently on your router.
How do I know about a new version?
Updating can be a lot of task, especially if you have clue if there is a new version. However this shouldn’t be a bother. You can check for new firmware version using the firmware upgrade sector which is on the router website administration interface. Connect to your PC using an Ethernet cable and perform the updating process. It is advisable not to use wireless connection as this affects the new firmware and may not perform to its best.
Process of updating the Netgear firmware
First connect your computer device to the Netgear router. This has to be done using Ethernet wire. Fix the wire on the router LAN port and the other end to the PC.
- Go to your favorite browser and key in the IP address. It can be as follows 192.168.1.1. Note the IP address of any router will be found at the back of the router.
- When the homepage opens you can now press the “enter” button. Fill in the “Admin” where indicated username followed by password. This are the legal login details for Netgear router.
- Now select the ok button after filling in the details.
- Again click on the advanced button followed by the Administration.
- Now you can choose the firmware upgrade button which is on the administration menu.
- The page will open and you have to select the check button. Give it sometime and the router will confirm the new firmware. To note this it will show the firmware upgrade assistant.
- Select the yes button and you will update the routers firmware.
Manual download firmware and upgrading process
- Navigate to the official website page: www.netger.com/support
- Enter the IP address on the browser search box.
- A drop down might show and you can select the IP address.
- Fill in the number as indicated in order to get the correct results.
- Select the software downloads and the firmware icon on the menu.
- You will see an option current version, here you select the version you need and then download.
- Open the downloaded file the run the excel file.
- From here you will be directed on how to update the firmware.
- A link will be sent open and check the type of firmware received.